New?

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Complete Honesty Even Though It Hurts

I did all of the dishes yesterday, cleaned most of the counter tops and cleaned my stove. Here's how bad it was: I found (in a stack of cookie sheets and dishes) the roasting pan that I cooked the turkey in FOR THANKSGIVING. Yes, things had been piled upon it and even though there was no turkey in it (thank God!) it still had not been washed out. Yes it is 2015 and I had somehow not seen that my Thanksgiving roasting pan never made it to the sink. I read somewhere that is called Time Passage Awareness Disorder. You have no idea how much time actually passes in which something exists in your everyday life.

No, it's not a real disorder. It's a term that Nony over at A Slob Comes Clean has created.

Upon that disgusting discovery(and after cleaning the pan) I decided I had to put away the rest of the groceries that were still sitting in their plastic bags. And that is where my plans for the day changed. While I had planned to sit down at the keyboard and start on the stuff for my paying client, the ants in my pantry had other plans. They had attacked a bag of jerky that someone in the house had put back but not fully closed. But they didn't stop there. They were scattered on several shelves. It was that point that I had to empty the ENTIRE pantry or risk missing something and losing more food that someone forgot to close properly. In a family with four kids it can happen quite easily.

Out went virtually everything and then I had to wipe down the shelves hoping to deter any further ant issues. I took half open boxes and dumped the contents into containers that I had picked up here and there from Goodwill, thrift shops and yard sales months ago (with the full intention of using them to keep the food in the pantry fresh and safe from bugs). It took the ant fiasco to make me use the containers.

Thankfully my kids are old enough to entertain themselves so I was able to knock it out in 2 hours instead of the all day/night event it would have been had they been littles that need constant attention.

So now I must spend the next four days alternating between my housework that I promised to do and writing. My deadline is looming and I have to eliminate all distractions. No more going to bed when my husband does. I'll move to the living room or the dining room to write until I complete each section of the project in front of me. Sleep will have to be sacrificed.

Today and the next few days will be about getting my basic to-do list completed.
Wash all dishes
Wipe off stove and counters
Complete one load of laundry
Make bed

No comments:

Post a Comment