New?

Friday, May 23, 2014

Your Activities Reflect What Is Important to You

What did you do today? What have you done this week? I want you to stop for a minute and think about your priorities. Now take a look at how your average week is planned out. Do those activities show the outside world what you hold as your highest priorities?

I'll confess that I have often said that my family is very important to me and yet I don't spend enough time with them or I am short-tempered. I have to consciously put aside the smartphone or stop working (I work from home) and make eye-contact in order to pay attention to what they are trying to tell me. Sadly though, there are times when I don't put away the devices or turn away from the computer. What does this mean?

I understand that people have to work to earn a living to support their children. All of the stories and play time isn't worth much if the kids are starving or you are about to lose your home. I get that. But of the time that is not spent working or if you are a stay-at-home mom there are times when you aren't cooking or cleaning (yes I know that it seems like there is always something to clean); how much of your "free" time is spent in front of the television or on Facebook or even on Candy Crush?

I'm not asking you to feel guilty about some "me" time stolen throughout the day. I'm asking you to stop and look at where your time is spent. You'll be surprised at where some of that 24 hours disappears to. And to the outside person looking in on your life? They would probably label your priorities differently than you would.

Instead of whining about how your children behave or about your dysfunctional relationships with your family, consider what activities you have done lately to fix/mend the problem. To quote a favorite line from the movie We are the Titans " The team's attitude reflects leadership." Your family is your team. They follow YOUR lead. Are you leading? Or are you simply letting things fall where they may?

No comments:

Post a Comment